Tiramisu

I posted about tiramisu cake before, but I just realized that I've never posted the classic tiramisu. I made this dessert so often a long time ago, but only a few of them for at least the last year or so. In fact, this is the first dessert that I attempted to experiment with and finally having a recipe of my own.


It's been so long that I forgot how easy it is to make this dessert. You don't even need an oven to make this. The longest part is to let the assembled dessert rest in the fridge for a good couple of hours before serving to give enough time for the flavor to marry and the espresso to soaked deeply into the ladyfingers.

Usually, I would make it in a pyrex type container. It's quick and easy. But since I'm crazy about neatness and perfection lately (read: the last couple of years), I made it using a cake ring this time. It takes a lot longer and a lot more hassle, but it's worth it.

I want the sides to be perfectly straight and neat, but I guess I wasn't doing a great job doing it, judging from the picture above. I froze the tiramisu for a couple of hours before cutting the four sides with hot knife. I think I need to freeze it a little longer so that it's completely frozen (at least the outer edge) before trimming the sides. But, I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

I have just enough leftover mascarpone filling for one individual version. Instead of using lady fingers, I used some joconde that I kept in the freezer so that it would lined up straight with the filling. I also soaked the joconde heavily with the espresso-rum mixture so that it would have the soaked lady finger texture and the strong espresso flavor.

No comments: